This site is a static archive of the Aegir community site. Documentation has moved to http://docs.aegirproject.org. Other community resources can be found on the Contacting the community page.
Skip navigation

News

• Fri, 12/30/2011 - 19:33
    We recently needed to migrate all our sites on one physical server to another server, there were more than 200 sites, and they were all hosted with Aegir. The old server was to be decommissioned, so we had to move all of Aegir's data about the site to the new server import into a new Aegir master on the new server. We also needed to do this with as small amount of downtime as possible.
  • Tue, 04/05/2011 - 08:42
    Aegir is a very clever Drupal hosting system built using Drupal and Drush. It is divided into two parts: the frontend and the backend. The frontend is essentially just a standard Drupal site that stores its data in the database and then some drush scripts that manipulate the data. The backend (provision) is just a collection of drush scripts, and it stores its data in Aegir contexts which are essentially just arrays of data stored in text files on disk. One of the most mysterious processes in Aegir is sending data from the frontend to the backend to be stored in these contexts. Recently I cracked this mystery, and I'm going to explain how.
  • Tue, 03/29/2011 - 11:38
    Aegir is a very clever hosting system for Drupal that sites and provisions them on various servers and does lots of clever things. One of the clever things that it has had for a while is a task queuing system. You can ask Aegir to lots of different things all in one go, and Aegir will queue them up and run them at its own pace.
  • Mon, 02/07/2011 - 17:43
    These three tools (drush make, Aegir and Dropbox) have come together to produce a release system that means I don't have to ssh into a remote server to deploy a new version of site.
  • Thu, 11/25/2010 - 14:13
    There may be better ways to do this, but suppose you want to get Aegir to provision a lot of sites, maybe from a list you've got in CSV file, then you can now use Feeds!
  • Thu, 11/11/2010 - 10:21
    Aegir is a system for managing sites using Drupal and drush. We use it to manage this site in fact. However, we use a fairly old version. As a precursor to doing some more work on the backup management I wanted to get my head around the new version of Aegir, and the object orientedness. There's a really useful tutorial over on the Aegir community site:http://community.aegirproject.org/node/75 That shows you how to add options to Aegir sites and pass the information into the backend. The tutorial mentions a possible real life use of implementing HTTP basic authentication on a site. Well, in an effort to understand Aegir more, I've coded it up, and you can now really easily specify HTTP basic authentication credentials for any site managed in Aegir. This is really useful for staging sites that you need to give clients access to, but don't want the entire world seeing.