This site is a static archive of the Aegir community site. Documentation has moved to http://docs.aegirproject.org. Other community resources can be found on the Contacting the community page.
Skip navigation

Can you rename the main Aegir site by migrating?

Help

Can you rename the main Aegir site by migrating?

That seems like a dumb question on both sides of the coin.

On the one hand: Migrating allows you to rename a site so the answer is yes. On the other hand: After installation and use, Aegir is the controller of all the other sites and is seriously plugged into MySQL to accomplish all of that and renaming the Aegir "master controller" is not as simple as a migration to a new name, so the answer is no.

My choice is to ask the experts before I do something stupid. Can I rename the master Aeger site from somethingelse.example.com to aegir.example.com and if so, is there a procedure for this (like: Step 1: Make an entry in DNS for the new site. Step 2: edit the /etc/hosts file. Step 3: pray hard, etc)? Or am I over-thinking this and making this too difficult?

Need help?

Discussion

The discussion area lets your team communicate by posting updates and discussing issues. It is a great place for sharing progress, discussing challenges, and exploring ideas.