This site is a static archive of the Aegir community site. Documentation has moved to http://docs.aegirproject.org. Other community resources can be found on the Contacting the community page.
Skip navigation

Aegir source repositories migrating back to Drupal.org

Help

Aegir source repositories migrating back to Drupal.org

After thorough discussions where we weighted the pros and cons of profiting from the Great Git Migration, it's pretty clear that we have only advantages to migrating our source repositories back to Drupal.org, so we're moving! We will get:

• more visibility - people will find us through drupal.org easily
  • more consistency - versions in the issue queue matching the real releases
  • even more consistency - people will find the source better from drupal.org
  • and then more consistency - usage stats will work again!

We will be able to:

• host our module and theme within the install profile - the major reason why we migrated away back then
  • use whatever naming convention we want for tags and branches - although only some will be used for releases for now, see this issue for followup
  • keep our history - the git team was nice enough to clone directly from our repositories (although see below, we're taking the opportunity of the migration to clean up our history)

What it means for you

This does have an impact on your existing repositories. When we migrate to git.drupal.org (which should happen by the end of the week, according to my precious sources), the repositories will change location. The other thing is that the commit IDs have changed, and you will need to refresh your local checkouts before you can work with them effectively.

So in short:

• repos will move to git.drupal.org
  • you need to rebase or clone again
  • make sure your identity is set correctly

See our migration documentation for all the gory details.

I think we're all happy that we're finally going back to our roots at Drupal.org. I am proud to see the community move away from CVS, and especially proud to see us go back with everyone, to join the great git party. :)

See you on the other side!

Need help?

Discussion

The discussion area lets your team communicate by posting updates and discussing issues. It is a great place for sharing progress, discussing challenges, and exploring ideas.