This site is a static archive of the Aegir community site. Documentation has moved to http://docs.aegirproject.org. Other community resources can be found on the Contacting the community page.
Skip navigation

Revision of How about moving install documentation back here? from Tue, 02/22/2011 - 02:11

Help

How about moving install documentation back here?

It seems that people want the install documentation here. I take for example this page that details a (non-official!) install script for Ubuntu, while the INSTALL.txt is almost an install script in itself for Debian derivatives.

It seems to me that people are not reading the stuff in the docs/ directory out there. Even worse, we have installation instructions stuck in the issue queue since forever for Gentoo and FreeBSD...

I therefore propose that we move all the documentation from the git repository into the Handbook, now that we have one that stands. (One of the reasons why we had docs in git was that the wiki on groups.drupal.org was utterly chaotic and scary.) I am not sure yet, but I think we can merge (gasp!) the HINTS files into the INSTALL.txt to provide a one-size-fits-all handbook that covers all supported platforms. The examples can be separated by platform in each page

I propose the following structure, with each item here being a page in the handbook.

• Installing Aegir - strip down to just an introduction, stop pointing to the INSTALL.txt
    • Manual install
      • System requirements - merge with top of INSTALL.txt, keep platform-agnostic
      • Configure system - this section will have examples for all supported platforms, inline
        • Aegir user
        • DNS configuration
        • PHP configuration
        • Webserver configuration
        • Database configuration
        • Remote servers configuration - move elsewhere? isn't this post-install?
      • Installing Drush & Provision
      • Running hostmaster-install
    • Automatic install
      • Debian packages
      • Debian/Ubuntu install script
      • Barracuda install scripts
      • Writing a script for your platform
  • Upgrading Aegir
    • Manual upgrade
    • Automatic upgrade
      • Upgrade script - is this OS agnostic?
      • Debian package upgrades
      • Barracuda upgrade scripts

You will understand from there that I would gladly ditch the current install.sh (my long-lasting phantasm) in favor of Debian packages or scripts (like barracuda or this Ubuntu one ) that actually run as root and do everything up to hostmaster-install. Now, I don't like the idea of giving people stuff to run as root, but since others seem to be doing it and posting it in our wiki, might as well cut our losses, commit that script to provision, and maintain it. If people don't want to run stuff as root, then they follow the manual install process, which covers all cases anyways.

How does this sound? Who wants to do that magic?

Need help?

The revisions let you track differences between multiple versions of a post.

Discussion

The discussion area lets your team communicate by posting updates and discussing issues. It is a great place for sharing progress, discussing challenges, and exploring ideas.