This site is a static archive of the Aegir community site. Documentation has moved to http://docs.aegirproject.org. Other community resources can be found on the Contacting the community page.
Skip navigation

Branching off last release instead of head?

Help

Branching off last release instead of head?

Referenced Page: 
Branch and tagging conventions

After reading the discussions surrounding branching in the Linux kernel, I have become of the opinion that feature branches should be based off a common point to ease maintenance over time. For example, if I would create a dev branch now, it should be based on beta1. This way I have a known set of bugs and issues that I know are not my fault (for example). It also makes merging with other dev branches easier if they are also based on beta1, as I do not have to merge unrelated changes.

I have documented this practice in this handbook page, although maybe not very clearly. I suggest we use this process from now on, although it is not mandatory...

Any comments on that?

Need help?

Discussion

The discussion area lets your team communicate by posting updates and discussing issues. It is a great place for sharing progress, discussing challenges, and exploring ideas.