Aegir 1.0-rc3 release notes
The Aegir team is very pleased to announce the third release candidate of Aegir 1.0!
This is the third Release Candidate from which we will test fixes to critical bugs from rc2, as well as fix any additional critical bugs found since, until we have no criticals and will then roll out the official 1.0.
This release also includes a fix for a security vulnerability (see below). We recommend you upgrade your Aegir instance to apply this fix.
Key changes in 1.0-rc3
A security vulnerability was fixed that prevents arbitrary configuration from being injected into Apache vhosts by way of the Site Aliases form. See #1098304
The 'Client' feature / node type has been significantly refactored and simplified, with the ultimate aim of hooking it into other CRM/databases (e.g. for LDAP support), and better Aegir-managed site/user security. This involved an exception to our current 'API freeze' for the sake of getting this important refactoring in. See this summary of the changes this imposes
We've upgraded to use Drush 4.4 and Drush Make 2.2 on fresh installs and upgrades. These have been tested and should work without any problems.
- DNS has no access control - anybody can create any zone (#922252)
- The site form suffers from some performance issues when you have a lot of platforms (#955854)
- Cluster servers are probably broken right now (#1016890)
- Aliases are not persisted across Migrate, (Rename), Clone (provision-deploy) (#1004526)
- The provision.info version tag wasn't updated properly and still reads 1.0-rc2
- See all the issues tagged as aegir-1.0 and issues marked as 'major' for our comprehensive list of outstanding issues.
Installing and upgrading
The canonical source of installation documentation has moved from the usual INSTALL.txt to the community site at:
In a similar fashion, the upgrade documentation has now been moved to the community site at
Within those sections you'll find step-by-step instructions for performing both manual and automatic upgrade processes. You can download the upgrade.sh.txt script from http://community.aegirproject.org/node/431.
It is still imperative that you read the the Upgrade Guide (http://community.aegirproject.org/upgrading) and follow all version-specific upgrade instructions located at the end of the document before trying to run the upgrade script. This especially applies to users upgrading from before 0.4-alpha8, including 0.3.
For users coming from the 0.4 betas or rc1/2, there are unlikely to be any version-specific manual steps required to upgrade to 1.0-rc3, but you should make a habit of reading them anyway just to make sure. No-one likes a nasty surprise!
The upgrade.sh script attempts to backup the existing backend components, download new versions, and then run the hostmaster-migrate command. It assumes you are upgrading from the previous release (hostmaster-6.x-1.0-rc2). If you are not, you may have to edit the script to change the OLD_DRUPAL_DIR variable.
- #1050730 : BIND needs write access on slave zones directory
- #1102650 : Check db connection before can_create_database()
- #1100196 : API docs example have service and service type mixed up
- #1097612 : PHP warnings thrown when a server has no available services.
- #1106768 : Client name of first client (created on installation) is empty
- #1098304 : Domain aliases are not sanitized and it is possible to inject arbitrary vhost configuration via aliases textarea
- #730424 : Putting credentials in Apache VHost environment is insecure
- #1067030: Using human readable name instead of machine name
- #1066676: Picture upload doesn't work using a site alias with D7
- #1096498 : Managers should have access to all sites, tasks and clients
- #962330 : refactor and clarify the fields in the client content type
- #334416 : security between sites (settings.php protection)
If you struggle to install or upgrade your Aegir system, you have a number of options available to you for getting help.
Consult this page for more: http://community.aegirproject.org/help
Thanks to our awesome community for their help, support and encouragement as always! Enjoy the new release :)